Monday, September 7, 2009

Gratitude, Good News and Grumpy Garrett

Thank you all for the prayers, encouragement and kind words. When you have so many people rallying around you, it's impossible to feel bad.

Almost. God I'm tired. My gravely voice is scaring the kids.

Garrett is doing pretty good. What little swelling there was is going down fast. I'm actually going to miss his little chipmunk cheeks. Turning is way simpler than I was imagining. I can't believe how easy it's been so far but I dread the final days of turning when it might start hurting him.

He isn't sleeping much. His 'bling' is pretty aggravating, especially when the rubber stoppers fall off every frakin 20 minutes and it starts poking him in the chest. But who has time for sleep anyway, what with all the medications, procedures and treatments we have to fit into 24 hours? Where am I going to find the time to address and mail all these formal invitations to the pity party I'm throwing?!

Feeding is tricky because he doesn't want to use his bottom jaw now, either because of pain or because his jaw is getting slightly bigger every day so he basically has to relearn how to suck and sallow each time. It's a pretty complicated process involving lots of muscles and perfect timing. Don't take it for granted. We give the bottle a little squeeze as he tries to suck using just his tongue, but there is a chance he is aspirating so he is scheduled for a Barium Swallow Study this Monday. I'm finding the one way to really upset him is to mess with his eating, complete personality change. It's like watching him turn into a little baby hulk, the only difference being he turns red instead of green. "Baby Hulk angry!" I don't know from whom in the world he gets this obsession with food.

All this snow balls into a pretty Grumpy Garrett. But I am blissfully enjoying the peace and serenity of his sleep. I know he does too.

After the swallow study I'll probably be updating less because hopefully there won't be anything to talk about. No news is good news. I'm not even sure if any body is reading this anymore or if I'm talking to myself. If any one's out there, it might be a good idea to 'follow' this blog so you can just get an update in your email when ever I post new information instead of having to check in. Over to the left is a little button that says "Follow", under the header "Followers". See it? It will also tell me if I should keep this Blog going or just switch to emailing the few people who are actually tolerating all my rambling.

Speaking of rambling... I'm sure most of you know I'm a cereal killer. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well I found the holy grail of cereal. Not surprising, it's made exclusively by HEB. It's a flake cereal, but not that useless soggy inferior flake like Frosted Flakes. These are the crackly, crisp, fortified, knight in shining armor flakes that stay crunchy to the end. It has a generous amount of dried strawberries. It also has 'yogurt balls' with live cultures! That's right, live cultures! So this cereal is just as good as that fancy Activia that Jaime Lee Curtis keeps going on about. We get it Jaime, it helps you poop! And lastly..... dark chocolate shavings! *choir sings* You do have to keep it in the refrigerator because of the live cultures, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

4 comments:

  1. Julie, I truly admire all you are doing for your little ones. You're a very good mom! I don't get a chance to check your blog every day, but I have signed up to be a follower, so I'll be able to read your posts sooner. I'm so glad Garrett is doing well. Your mom keeps me posted too. Keep up the good work and just know you are not alone. Love, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't stop writing! I love reading what goes on in your lives everyday! One day...20 years down the road...you will look back at this and be glad you did it. I am trying to start on mine and Ken's bio...for the kids and ALL the geneaology I worked on for years and hope one day they will appreciate. As always we miss you. Ken is continueing to do well. I am coming to Ft Worth tomorrow to a FTD support meeting. Hope it doesn't rain all day.

    Hugs and Kisses!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie...I forgot what I started to tell you...duh...I think I am the one with the mental issue! I love it when you talk about Ben the way you do. So many marriages today are in trouble because they forget that they are married to a best friend, confidant, helpmate, soulmate, an ear to listen to you and a shoulder to cry on...most think they are married to a wife or husband. Thank you for holding your husband in esteeme and reverance. It speaks so much about your love for each other! I have told you before, but I will remind you again: God only blesses special couples with His most needy Angels, because He knows they will get the best care from a couple that love each other!
    And we love you too! Kiss our kids for us! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comments! I'd never thought to look in here! Thank you both for your love. If I do good things in this life it's because of all the support I have, from my family, my extended family and my friends.

    It's easy to appreciate Ben. He is what fairy tales are made of. And in spite of the problems with TCS, Garrett is still a dream baby. And you've met my other two kids! How could I feel anything but lucky?

    ReplyDelete