Saturday, August 1, 2009

fights, faces and food

Garrett will be underweight for a while, at least for several more months, but he is gaining an appropriate amount now. My bet is, even once we get him out of 'Tha DANE-ger Zone' he will still always be thin like Gus. But better grossly malnourished than chubby! Am I right Hollywood??

As far as his hearing, he is profoundly deaf but with a hearing aid he will have absolutely no handicaps, hear normal, learn normal, talk normal, etc... Now actually getting the hearing aid is going to be a fearsome, ferocious fight. There is SO much information, that I'm sure most of you won't want to muddle through, that I'm thinking it would be better to create a whole other blog for the nitty gritties. If you want to know all those sordid details, here is the link The BAHA Battles

The only thing I'm a little worried about is his breathing. His small jaw keeps his tongue crowded into the back of his throat and, in general, his air ways are just a little too small. We are going to his Pulmonologist this Thursday for a sleep study where they watch him over night to determine what, if anything, needs to be done. He may need jaw surgery, a jaw distraction or maybe a tracheostomy. Or all three. Yay.

Ben bought a HEB mesquite honey ham because we've noticed that almost everything HEB produces is exceptionally good even though it's considered 'off brand'. He fixed it the traditional way, with pineapples of course, and holy hotdog was it good! Juicy, tender, lots of flavor. He also tried a new sweet potato dish with carrots.... meh... I prefer mine with marshmallows like any respectable red blooded American should.

3 comments:

  1. Julie, this is a wonderful idea. Your mom tries to keep me up to date, but invariably, we are interrupted or I don't understand. I tend to remember things better when I read them rather than hear them for some reason. We will be praying for you as you seek the best for Garrett. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. Don't know that I will tell the Good News Class how to check it, but it does give all the junk you are running into. I like the idea of you writing again also, I could almost taste ham and the marshmellows would have been my choice also. 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you guys this week. I'll give you a call later today.

    ReplyDelete